Open Library logo
New Feature: You can now embed Open Library books on your website!   Learn More
Last edited by Open Library Bot
December 4, 2010 | History

N. Gray & Co. Funeral Home, 1545 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, California 1 edition

N. Gray & Co. Funeral Home, 1545 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, Cal ...
Page & Turnbull.

No ebook available.


Prefer the physical book? Check nearby libraries with:


Buy this book

Add an ISBN in order to
link to booksellers


There is only 1 edition record, so we'll show it here...  •  Add edition?

N. Gray & Co. Funeral Home, 1545 Divisadero Street, San Francisco, California
Historical American Building Survey documentation, final draft
prepared by Page & Turnbull.

Published 2005 by Page & Turnbull in [San Francisco, Calif.] .
Written in English.

Edition Notes

Cover title.

"September 21, 2005".

Sixteen b&w resin-coated archival photographs (8" x 10") in 2 envelopes.

Written documentation prepared by: Richard Sucré; photographic documentation prepared by: William Porter.

"The former N. Gray & Company Funeral Home is significant as an early survivng example of a San Francisco mortuary and as a rare example of a Georgian Revival building in San Francisco. Originally founded in 1850 by Nathaniel Gray, N. Gray & Company (originally know as N. Gray Undertakers) was San Francisco's oldest mortuary business when it closed in 1980. Nathaniel Gray became known in San Francisco as a leading businessman, philanthropist, and civic leader. In 1919, N. Gray & Company commissioned engineer James. H. Hjul to construct a two-story, wood-frame building on the southwest corner of Post and Divisadero Streets. From 1919 to 1981, the building at 1545 Divisadero Street served as the main headquarters for N.Gray & Company. In 1980, N. Gray & Company was sold to their competitors, Halsted & Company. In 2001, 1545 Divisadero Street was sold to the Bernard Osher Foundation, which later donated the building to the University of California. From 1995 to 2003, the University of California, Mount Zion campus utilized the building as medical office space, until its closure in 2003. Currently, the building is vacant."--P. 1.

Includes bibliographical references (leaves 22-23).

The Physical Object

Pagination
26 leaves, [7] leaves of plates :
Number of pages
26

ID Numbers

Open Library
OL23085708M
OCLC/WorldCat
69669777

History

Download catalog record: RDF / JSON
December 4, 2010 Edited by Open Library Bot Added subjects from MARC records.
January 29, 2010 Edited by WorkBot add more information to works
December 11, 2009 Created by WorkBot add works page